Thursday, January 14, 2010

Really city of Kirkland?

I realize these are tough times for most government agencies at all levels. Local, state, and federal levels are having to find ways to cut costs and pare back budgets because of the economic crisis that has befallen the country these past two years. I am sympathetic to their plight. But I've noticed one decision right here in my own neighborhood that makes me scratch my head. There is a park a block from my house where I like to take the dog to let him run around. In fact, most of the people in the area take their dogs there to play and run around which has turned it into a nice little area to socialize also. There's also a playground where people bring their kids, allowing them the play area that most people don't have on their own property. With it being a place that people congregate, for as long as I can remember there has been a port-a-john available to the public that allowed for bathroom usage instead of having to rush home. A few days ago I saw that it had been removed. Personally, I don't really have a problem with this as I'm sure the maintenance and upkeep of said facility was regarded as something that could be dropped from a budget that is certainly looking for every penny that can be saved. What I do have a problem with is they also took the garbage can away. One garbage can. When people pick up after their dogs at the park (and granted not everyone does this), they would obviously use the garbage can to dispose of their dog's waste. Now people are just piling up bags of dog waste on the spot where the garbage can used to be. It boggles my mind to think that the city can't even drop by once a week to empty a garbage can. That's really all it would take, the can never exactly filled up quickly. But it apparently was decided that cutting back on the garbage can maintenance was going to save tons of money in the long run. While that may be true, but I doubt it, now a plastic landfill of dog poop bags makes its home out in the open right next to the very playground that children of the neighborhood play on. Plus, this lack of disposal unit has increased the odds that a person just doesn't pick up after their dog because there's no where to throw the bag away. This just seems ridiculous to me. But what do I know, I'm not in city planning. I hope that soon a garbage can will return (I can live without the port-a-john) but I get the feeling that these are the kinds of lame budget cuts our civic leaders are able to come up. And I'd say that's pretty sad.

1 comment:

  1. are you sure the plastic bags aren't a result of the port-a-john removal, not the garbage can removal?

    EP

    ReplyDelete